When you walk into your local Op Shop what do you see? Probably just a range of second hand goods at a bargain price.
- provide a place for our retirees to come together to “give back” to their communities
- support mums returning to work get their mojo (confidence) back
- are a place for long term unemployed to gain training, new skills and confidence when embarking upon returning to the workforce
- encourage young people and uni students gain valuable work experience
- work with local disability services to provide local volunteering opportunities for their clients
- up skill their volunteers through training
- give social support people with mental health issues
Definitely, more than just a 2nd hand shop – they provide opportunities.
When you shop at your local op shop you are not just getting a bargain you are recycling, supporting community building activities and contributing to real grassroots asset based community development in your town.