You may have heard of Asset Based Community-Driven Development or ABCD but what does it mean? How does it support community initiatives? Dee Brooks shares her insights in how ABCD supports community-driven initiatives.
- Conversations start with identifying the gifts, skills, abilities and passions of individuals which recognises the collective wisdom, local knowledge and shared experiences of community members.
- By building community from the inside out, Asset Based Community-Driven Development recognises that communities are full of resources although, doesn’t ignore issues and challenges.
- Discovering what people care about, enough to act on, encourages community-inspired action; it’s about finding gold and being bold versus being told and feeling sold!
- The driving forces are based on hope, care and relationships to support the discovery of the naturally intrinsic assets and strengths of individuals and communities
- ABCD encourages connection, celebration and fun; dare to think small, celebrate the small steps, starting anywhere, leads everywhere!